Reflections - this program creates a time and space for first-year students to think about life’s big questions, articulate personal goals, and develop strategies to achieve them.
- Audience: Targeted to freshmen.
- When: 3 weeks in beginning of spring semester.
- Frequency: Three 90 minute sessions with dinner provided; an optional fourth meeting is possible given student interest.
- Approximate Number of Participants: 50 currently, 200 in future.
- Student Characteristics: First-gen, minorities, many female students; more mixed ratio when reflections conducted with students involved with undergraduate research.
Funding & Operations
- Trinity Support: Trinity supplied $2500 of internal funds for the pilot.
- External Support: $4,000 from the Associated Colleges of the South to hold a training session for facilitators. $50,000 from the Network for Vocation in Undergraduate Education (Netvue) from the Council of Independent Colleges/Lilly Endowment.
- Operations: There are $5,000/yr in actual program expenses. Trinity has invested greater resources in training to launch the program. We anticipate greater expenses as the program grows.