Bonner Scholars - The focus of the Bonner Scholars Program changes as students become more experienced during their four years of service. Each semester, Bonner Scholars complete 140 hours of service work, in addition to 280 hours of service work during each of two summers of service.
- Audience: The Bonner Center serves the whole campus including our adult and early college students.
- When: All year, winter and summer term.
- Approximate Number of Participants: 60 Bonner scholars, over 90 students participate in the Community Scholars program. Overall, we serve over 400 students a year through our various programs.
- Focus of Retreat: The Bonner Center also plays a vital role in supporting Guilford College to meet its mission and purpose of providing a practical, liberal arts education (also shaped by the Quaker tradition and the values of the College) through which students, faculty, and staff also make a positive impact on communities.
Funding and Operations
The Bonner Scholars Program has a operating budget between $25,000-$40,000.
- External Support: Several years ago, we received an endowment from the Bonner foundation to support the Bonner Scholars program as well as future community engagement programs.
- Operations: $25,000-$40,000; 1.8 million with scholarships.